Skip to navigation Skip to content

Revision of Records

The Committee for Revision of Records reviews petitions from students asking for changes to their academic records. Students should discuss the petition process with their advisor before appealing to the committee to verify that changes are warranted and will benefit the student.

Information for Completing Petition to the Committee

Student Responsibilities

  • Consult with an academic advisor before you begin the Revision of Records process.
    • Undergraduate students can refer to for information about how to schedule an appointment with your advisor.
    • Graduate and post-baccalaureate students should contact the Office of Graduate Studies (573-882-6311) for information about contacting an advisor.
    • If you do not have an advisor or are unsure of who to contact, call the Office of the University Registrar’s Office at 573-882-2227.
  • Obtain forms from the box below:
    ROR Petition and Instructions
  • Complete the form, being as thorough and specific as possible.
  • Collect documentation to support the petition. For example, for a petition with a medical justification, a medical certification form should be submitted to support the provided explanation.
    Download ROR Medical Form
  • Submit the completed petition and any additional supporting documentation or evidence to the Office of the University Registrar.
    Submit petition
  • Once the student has submitted a petition to the Office of the University Registrar, information will be requested from the instructors and department chairs for each course affected by the petition. The dean’s office of the student’s academic unit will also be contacted for information.
  • Petitions submitted by the first business day of the month will be reviewed by the Committee on Revision of Records at the next possible meeting. All required input must be received from instructors, chairs, and deans before the petition can be reviewed.
  • The student will be notified of the committee’s decision via a letter mailed to the address provided by the student on their petition.

General Guidelines

  • The committee cannot change a grade given by an instructor. If a student disagrees with a grade, they must contact their instructor and then follow the appropriate appeals process. An instructor cannot change a letter grade to “W” unless a withdrawal has been approved.
  • Members of the Committee on Revision of Records are MU faculty appointed by the Chancellor. They are to remain anonymous. Students are not allowed to communicate directly with the committee members. Any questions should be forwarded to Victor Price, Associate Registrar, in 127 Jesse Hall.
  • The committee reviews all complete petitions and their decisions are based upon the information presented.
    Guidelines from the committee
    There are two situations in which revision of records petition might be appropriate.

    1. Student performance in courses was adversely impacted by unexpected circumstances, such as an illness, injury, or family emergency.
      1. Students will need to provide medical or other third-party documentation to verify that the unexpected circumstances occurred.
      2. Students will need to demonstrate that the unexpected circumstances were the cause of their poor academic performance.
      3. It is highly unusual for the committee to approve petitions for only selected courses within a given semester.
    2. Administrative error in registering or withdrawing from a course, or courses.
      1. Students will need to provide documentation of the administrative error. For example, instructor or chair’s confirmation that the student registered for an incorrect course section.
  • Decisions are communicated in writing to the student.
  • If the committee approves the requested change and additional charges apply as a result, the petitioner accepts the University Statement of Financial Responsibility. Please see for more information.
  • The committee cannot grant refunds for backdated dropped or withdrawn classes. Please refer to to learn more about refunds and obtain a Refund Appeal Form.
  • A student’s academic record (including petitions to the Committee on Revision of Records) may not be discussed with a third party without the student’s written consent. Please see for more information on student privacy.
  • The University of Missouri’s Equal Employment/Education Opportunity policy [UM System CRR 600.010] prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law.
    The University of Missouri’s Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment and Sexual Misconduct in Education/Employment policy [UM System CRR 600.020] states that any faculty, student employee or staff member, with some exceptions, who becomes aware of known, learned or rumored incidents of sex discrimination, including: sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, stalking on the basis of sex, dating/intimate partner violence or sexual exploitation and/or related experiences or incidents, is a Mandated Reporter.
    To report sexual misconduct or ask questions about the policies and procedures regarding discrimination and sexual misconduct, please submit the online reporting form at or contact the Office for Civil Rights & Title IX, (573) 882-3880,

Frequently Asked Questions

    • What is the process? How long will the entire process take?
      • Students will contact their academic advisor about the ROR process and if the student believes their situation is appropriate for a ROR petition, the advisor will direct students to the link on the Office of the University Registrar (OUR) website to the online form.
      • Students will complete the online fillable PDF and submit that information to Once that form is received by OUR, the information will be completed and sent electronically to the Faculty members, Department Chairs and Undergraduate Deans for feedback. Faculty member, Department Chairs and Undergraduate Deans will have two weeks provide feedback. Once the two weeks have passed/feedback has been received the OUR compiles information for the committee to review.
      • The ROR committee will continue to meet once a month. Dates will be provided by the OUR.
        • Committee does not meet in July.
    • How are decisions made? Who reviews the form/documentation?
      • The ROR the committee is composed of faculty appointed by the chancellor. Members are anonymous and students are not allowed to communicate directly with them. Faculty members, Department Chairs, and Undergraduate Deans also see the ROR petition to provide feedback to the ROR committee who will review and make the final determination on the ROR petition.
    • Have my forms been received?
    • What impact will this have on my financial aid, Visa Status, benefits?
      • Changes to your academic record resulting from an approved Revision of Records petition can affect visa status, benefits, and financial aid in addition to other areas. Please contact any office from the following list that is relevant to your situation to inquire about the potential effects of your Revision of Records petition:
      Cashiers 573-882-3097
      Disability Center 573-882-4696
      International Center 573-882-6007
      Student Financial Aid 573-882-7506
      Title IX Office 573-882-3880
      Veterans Center 573-884-4383
    • What is the likelihood that this will be approved?
      • This is very student and situation dependent. The Revision of Records process is in place for students who have experienced a significant hardship and can provide documentation to support their case. In addition to the student’s narrative and supporting documentation, the committee will also consider information from the course instructor, department chair and dean of the school or college in which the student was enrolled during the semester they are submitting a revision of records request. In addition, the committee may take other factors into account, such as whether a student has submitted petitions for revision of records for another semester and the student’s overall academic record.
    • Where is the form online?

Download ROR Petition and Instructions

    • Where do I get a medical certification form?

Download ROR Medical Form