Skip to navigation Skip to content

Enrollment Restrictions for Self-Paced Courses

Prerequisites & Permissions

  • If your academic unit requires advance approval to register for a self-paced course, you must contact your academic unit for approval. You will not be able to register in a self-paced course without their approval.
  • If you do not meet the prerequisite requirements for a self-paced course, you must obtain a permission number from the department offering the course.
  • Students enrolling into a self-paced course need to meet all prerequisites requirements. If you completed a prerequisite course as a transfer course and your transfer credit is not showing in myZou, request a permission number from the department offering the course.

Approval is required for enrollment in self-paced courses in the following schools and colleges:

  • School of Law
  • School of Medicine

The following schools and colleges do not require approval for enrollment in self-paced courses:

  • College of Education
  • College of Engineering
  • Graduate School
  • College of Human Environmental Sciences/Social Work
  • Sinclair School of Nursing
  • College of Veterinary Medicine

Credit Hour Limits

Limits are placed on the number of self-paced-course credit hours in which a student can enroll in one term. Limits vary by school or college.

  • College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources: 7
  • College of Arts & Science: 7
  • Trulaske College of Business: 6
  • School of Health Professions: 6 (applies to campus and online students-effective Summer 2014)
  • School of Journalism: 6 (Effective Summer 2020)

Self- Paced courses Grading Basis Change

Contact the Office of the University Registrar to request a change to S/U grading. Students cannot change from one grading system to the other after 10 days of enrollment have elapsed.

University of Missouri students (University of Missouri-Kansas City, University of Missouri- St. Louis and Missouri S & T) enrolling in an MU course for Pass/Fail need your advisor’s approval. Your advisor approval needs to be included in your request to the Office of the University Registrar in order to take this course for Pass/Fail credit.

For additional information on enrollment procedures, please see our myZou training guides.

International Students

Before enrolling in online courses, international students must contact the International Center at 573-882-6007 or

Only three online credits may be counted toward a student’s full-time enrollment requirements.

(For example, if an undergraduate international student takes six credits online, he or she must also take nine credits in a classroom to meet the 12-credit minimum. The student will earn 15 credits, but only 12 will count toward immigration requirements.)

More on enrollment requirements for international students »