Missouri Residency Requirements

In order to earn Missouri residency status, there are minimum requirements that must be met. When you apply for residency, you must submit the following documentation to prove you meet the minimum requirements:

  1. Proof of Presence in Missouri
  2. Proof of earning at least $2,000 of taxable income in Missouri during the 12 month qualifying period
  3. Copy of your permanent Missouri driver’s license
  4. Copy of your Missouri voter’s registration verification
  5. Copy of Page 1 & 2 of the previous year’s Federal 1040 income tax form
  6. Copy of your Missouri auto registration (if applicable)

All of the residency requirements must be met for your application to be approved. If any requirement is not met or is not properly documented, your application will not be approved. If it is not approved, you will have the option to appeal the decision. Visit our application process guide for more information.

Proof of presence in Missouri

Qualifying Periods

You must provide documentation proving you lived in Missouri for the 12 consecutive months immediately prior to the semester you apply for residency. These 12 months are known as your qualifying period. Qualifying periods are as follows:

  • Fall Semester → August to August
  • Spring Semester → January to January
  • Summer Semester → June to June

You must pay non-resident fees during your qualifying period.

Documentation required to prove presence in Missouri

Presence in Missouri during the summer months of May through August must be thoroughly documented through the following sources:

A. Lease(s) or sublease(s) with your name on it 

If you don't have an official lease or sublease with your name on it, you must submit a notarized letter from your lessor with the following information:

  • address where you lived
  • dates you lived there
  • terms of the agreement

You must provide the same letter if you lived with a friend or relative over the summer. Verification of the address where you lived is also required. A copy of your lessor's lease for the dates you lived with them is required.

If you stay in a residence hall over the summer, you will need a letter from the Residential Life Office showing the dates you moved in and moved out of the residence hall. Similarly, if you stay in a fraternity or sorority, you will need to submit one of the following:

  • copy of your lease
  • letter of verification from your house parent or president on house letterhead stating the location, move in and move out dates and the terms of the agreement

You will not need to submit any lease documentation during the academic year as long as you are enrolled in classes at MU. 

B. Payroll record/paystubs and work schedules

This will also show proof of earning at least $2,000 of taxable income in Missouri during your qualifying period. You may NOT work for or with a relative, for or with a family business, or online.

C. Bank statements showing the transaction date (receipts will not be accepted as proof of presence)

You must make a debit or credit card transaction every two to three days during the summer months to show you were in Missouri. If there are days unaccounted for, you may be asked to provide additional documentation.

Parents may be listed on a bank account with you. However, only you may use the account to make transactions. These purchases prove you were physically in Missouri. The bank account does not need to be located in Missouri, but the statements must have your name printed on them. 

Leaving the state

You are not required to remain in Missouri during the Thanksgiving, winter or spring breaks.

Owning property in Missouri

Owning property in Missouri does not make you a Missouri resident if your permanent address is located in another state. 

Paying income taxes to Missouri

If you live in a different state but pay income taxes to the state of Missouri, there is a tuition discount available. Please visit the MU Cashier's Office website for more information. 

Proof of earning at least $2,000 of gross taxable income in Missouri

At least $2,000 of gross (before taxes) taxable income must be earned during the 12-month qualifying period. You may not work online, for a relative or a family business. 

Documentation required to show earned income

Payroll record/paystubs 

Paystubs and work schedules must be provided for every pay period during the summer months of May through August. In order to prove your presence in Missouri, you must continue to work during the summer months, even if you have already earned $2,000. 

Waiters and Waitresses

If you work as a waiter/waitress, you must submit an income log in addition to your paystubs and work schedules. 


If you work as a nanny, you must submit the following documentation:

  1. A letter of verification from the family, stating the family’s name and address, the student’s name, the dates of employment and the amount paid
  2. A copy of a Missouri driver’s license from one of the parents
  3. Copies of all payment checks
  4. An income log

Students who work part time for MU

Students who work part time for MU can print their paystubs from myHR by following these steps:

  1. Login to myHR with your username and password
  2. Click on "Pay Advice" under the section labeled "myPayroll"
  3. Click on the check date of the paystub you wish to print
  4. Click on "Print My Pay Advice"
  5. Print the PDF copy of your paystub

Married applicants

Your spouse’s Missouri taxable earned income may count towards the $2,000 requirement. Submit your joint tax return, marriage license and Missouri W-2’s as proof.

Deadline to make required earned income

The deadlines to make $2,000 of taxable earned income are:

  • Spring Semester: Feb. 15
  • Summer Semester: June 15
  • Fall Semester: Sept. 15

If you do not make $2,000 by the deadline, you will be billed as an out-of-state student for that semester and may apply again the following semester. 

Copy of your permanent Missouri driver’s license

The DMV mails your permanent driver’s license within four to six weeks of applying for one. Make sure you apply for your license early enough to receive your permanent copy before the deadline to apply for residency. The DMV will only forward your license to the address you list.

More information can be found at the Missouri Department of Revenue's website.

Copy of your Missouri voter’s registration verification

Online registration is available through the Boone County Clerk's office. If you are a non-U.S. citizen and have a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, please provide a copy of your card in place of a voter’s registration card with your residency petition.

Copy of Page 1 and 2 of the previous year’s Federal 1040 income tax form

In order to achieve residency, you may not be claimed as a dependent on your parents' Federal 1040 income tax form.

Students under 21

If you were under 21 during any part of your qualifying period, please submit a copy of Page 1 and 2 of your parent’s Federal 1040 income tax form for the previous year showing that you were not claimed as a dependent. Your name may not be listed in the "Dependents" box. If your parents are divorced, please submit copies of both parent's tax returns. 

Students over 21

If you were 21 or older for your entire qualifying period, please submit a copy of Page 1 and 2 of your Federal and Missouri 1040 income tax form for the previous year.

Please mark out all social security numbers. 

Copy of your Missouri auto registration

This is only necessary if you are the sole owner of your car.

Official Residency Requirements

Refer to the Missouri Residence and Tuition Assessment Administrative Guidelines for the official residency requirements established by the Missouri Department of Higher Education.