Enrollment Restrictions for Self-Paced Courses

Prerequisites & Permissions

  • If your academic unit requires advance approval to register for a self-paced course, you must contact the department for approval. You will not be able to register in a self-paced course without their approval.
  • If you do not meet prerequisite requirements for a self-paced course, you must obtain a permission number from the department offering the course.
  • If you completed a prerequisite course as a transfer course and your transfer credit is not showing in myZou, request a permission number from the department offering the course.

Approval is required for enrollment in self-paced courses in the following schools and colleges:

  • School of Law
  • School of Medicine

The following schools and colleges do not require approval for enrollment in self-paced courses:

  • College of Education
  • College of Engineering
  • Graduate School
  • College of Human Environmental Sciences/Social Work
  • Sinclair School of Nursing
  • College of Veterinary Medicine

Credit Hour Limits

Limits are placed on the number of self-paced-course credit hours in which a student can enroll in one term. Limits vary by school or college.

  • College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources: 7
  • College of Arts & Science: 7
  • Trulaske College of Business: 6
  • School of Health Professions: 6 (applies to campus and online students-effective Summer 2014)
  • School of Journalism: 4 (Effective summer 2016)
  • School of Natural Resources: 7

International Students

Before enrolling in online courses, international students must contact the International Center at 573-882-6007 or international@missouri.edu.

Only three online credits may be counted toward a student’s full-time enrollment requirements.

(For example, if an undergraduate international student takes six credits online, he or she must also take nine credits in a classroom to meet the 12-credit minimum. The student will earn 15 credits, but only 12 will count toward immigration requirements.)

More on enrollment requirements for international students »