Skip to main content
Skip to navigation

How dropping/withdrawing from a class affects the GPA

If a student wishes to drop a course after the last day to drop a course without a grade, the process is referred to as withdrawing from a course (Dates and Deadlines). To withdraw from a course students must begin in their academic advising unit by completing the Course Withdraw Form (PDF). At this point a grade of W for withdraw is recorded if the student was passing at the time of withdrawal. If the student was failing at the time of withdrawal, the course grade is F. The instructor determines which grade to assign. A W grade does not affect the grade point average, while a grade of F does. The grade generally will not appear until all grades for the course are submitted at the end of the semester.

Published by the University Registrar, 125 Jesse Hall, Columbia, MO 65211
Phone: 573-882-7881 | Transcripts: 573-882-8252 | Records: 573-882-4249 | E-mail:

Copyright © — Curators of the University of Missouri. All rights reserved. DMCA and other copyright information.
An equal opportunity/affirmative action institution.

Last updated: Oct. 11, 2013