Honors Eligibility 

Fully Admitted Incoming Freshmen

Incoming freshmen are eligible for automatic admission to the Honors College upon submission of an application, if they have 29 or higher on the ACT or 1280 on the SAT and are in the top 10 percent of their high school graduating class. Students from high schools that do not rank will be automatically eligible if their core GPA is greater than 3.70. Incoming freshmen who do not meet both of the admissions criteria are required to submit an essay as part of their application. Essays are evaluated on an individual basis. Specific information on the requirements for the essay can be found on the application.

Provisionally Admitted Incoming Freshmen

Incoming freshmen who apply to the Honors College but who do not meet the automatic eligibility requirements may be given the opportunity to take one honors course during their first semester. Provisionally admitted students may request permission to enroll in one additional honors course during the early registration period for spring semester. Students wishing to exercise this option should schedule an appointment to meet with the director of the Honors College during early registration.

Provisionally admitted students cannot live in the Honors Learning Community or participate in honors Freshmen Interest Groups in student housing and are not assigned to the Honors College for advising until they are given full admission. Provisionally-admitted students are automatically given full admission to the Honors College if they have a 3.5 MU GPA at the end of their first semester. Provisionally-admitted students who do not make a 3.5 the first semester may remain enrolled in the early registered course for the following semester. These students can apply for admission any time after they have completed 30 credits and have a 3.5 MU GPA.

Transfer Students

Transfer students are eligible to apply if they have at least 30 credits and a 3.5 cumulative GPA. The cumulative GPA, for the purpose of applying to the Honors College, is the calculated average of transfer work from all institutions the student has attended.

Maintaining Honors Eligibility

Visit the Honors College Web site for information about maintaining honors eligibility.

For questions, please contact the MU Honors College at 573-882-3893 or umchonorscollege@missouri.edu.

Policy Source: Honors College/Academic Unit