Skip to main content
Skip to navigation

Policy Related to Changing Names for Students at the University of Missouri

Current students and alumni of the University of Missouri may change their names in the student records system for University of Missouri use during or after attendance according to the following:

  1. For a student to change his/her name, legal documentation is required of the student's new name and verification that he/she was previously known as the name in the MU records system.   
    • For Undergraduate, Graduate and Professional students, a name change may be processed either in person, by mail, fax or e-mail. The completed name changes form along with the necessary documentation listed below should be sent to: Office of the University Registrar, University of Missouri, 202 Ellis Library, Columbia, MO 65211.
  2. The student must submit one of the legal documents listed below under Proof of legal change to new name.
    The document submitted must have date of birth, a photograph, and a signature. If the document you are submitting providing proof of legal name change does not have the three criteria (date of birth, a photograph and a signature), then you will need to submit an additional document that does contain them.
    Please submit copies of the documents and the form to the Office of the University Registrar.
    Proof of legal change to new name
    1. Current, government-issued ID card such as a driver's license, military ID, passport
    2. Current, valid Social Security Card with new name
    3. A federally recognized Indian tribe's enrollment card or a US Bureau of Indian Affairs identification card containing the new name, the signature and photograph of the individual
    4. A certified copy of a court order or a marriage certificate or a dissolution decree reflecting the new name in full
  3. Students may abbreviate their middle name(s) without documentation. Documentation is required if a student is adding or deleting a middle name or changing an initial to a name.

Replacement diplomas

You may request a replacement diploma when the diploma has been lost or destroyed by completing the duplicate diploma order form (PDF).

Name Change Form

Name change form (PDF)

Published by the University Registrar, 125 Jesse Hall, Columbia, MO 65211
Phone: 573-882-7881 | Transcripts: 573-882-8252 | Records: 573-882-4249 | E-mail:

Copyright © — Curators of the University of Missouri. All rights reserved. DMCA and other copyright information.
An equal opportunity/access/affirmative action/pro-disabled and veteran employer.

Last updated: Oct. 20, 2014